Woman mistakes dynamite for candle during power outage in Connecticut

News
0C34831B695F4F59BFCADDBB5BD7D493_6_1536332632899-873735621.jpg

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) – A woman is injured after Bridgeport police say she lit dynamite thinking it was a candle. 

City officials say a woman is injured after she thought she was lighting a candle, when it was actually a quarter stick of dynamite. As a result, they say her hands received a significant amount of damage and she was taken to the hospital.

Authorities say a second device was found inside the home on Lindley Street in Bridgeport. 

As a precaution, officials say homes on either side of the house were evacuated. They say the house and the surrounding area was searched.

Authorities say state police, state fire marshal, state police bomb squad, Bridgeport police and fire, along with the city fire marshals office responded to the scene. 

According to officials, the bomb squad may take explosives for detonation at Seaside Park or West Beach. 

©TEGNA Inc. 2019. All Rights Reserved.

More from WZDX News

More Don't Miss

Get our WZDX News & Weather Apps

ANDROID
iOS
ANDROID
iOS