Huntsville Police on Wednesday responded to questions of how the public can support the family of fallen Huntsville Police officer and STAC Agent Billy Clardy III.
Lieutenant Michael Johnson said that, “While the City of Huntsville cannot endorse any particular private fundraising effort, HPD is aware of the below donation methods to support the Clardy family:
- Billy Clardy Memorial Fund at Redstone Federal Credit Union. To donate to this fund, checks can be made to the “Billy Clardy Memorial Fund” and dropped off at any branch of Redstone Federal Credit Union.
- The Huntsville Police Citizens Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Check donations to the Huntsville Police Citizens Foundation can be brought to the Public Safety Complex located at 815 Wheeler Ave and should include the language “For Billy Clardy III Memorial Fund.”
Questions about these funds can be addressed to the Huntsville Police Citizens Foundation Program Director Leslie Freeman at HuntsvillePCF@yahoo.com.”
Johnson also says that HPD encourages those wishing to make donations – no matter the cause – to use their best judgement when deciding on the credibility of a fundraising effort. T-shirt selling, on-site cash collection, fundraising websites, fundraising through social media and other fundraising methods can be vetted using these tips from the Federal Trade Commission.
Officer Clardy was killed by a suspect during a drug investigation on Friday, December 6, 2019. He was laid to rest on December 10. The suspect in the shooting is being held without bond.
WATCH: Locals line funeral procession to honor fallen officer Billy Clardy III.
- Weather Forecast Monday, January 20, 2020
- Local 6th grader asking for donations for her birthday
- Community leaders honored at MLK Day of Service