Seven Alabama police officers, including Huntsville Police Officer Billy Clardy, have been shot and killed in the past 13 months.
Today Attorney General Steve Marshall condemned the record number of officers being killed in our state.
He said what we are seeing is a disturbing pattern.
“This is the most members of Alabama law enforcement ever murdered in less than a 13 month period,” says Attorney General Marshall. “The wave of senseless deaths over the past year cannot be the wave of the future in this state.”
This press conference comes just two days after Kimberly Police Officer Nick O’Rear was laid to rest.
The Republican attorney general also suggested an anti-law enforcement view was a contributing factor to the uptick in violence.
Marshall asked parents to teach children to respect law enforcement, and asked news media not to only focus on “bad apples” within police officer ranks.
- Watch this violinist play while undergoing brain surgery
- Ryan Newman released from the hospital following Daytona 500 crash
- Are top pet health trends actually healthy?
- Drug Intervention Workshop shines lights on community needs
- 20 years since local radio DJ exposes Racist Alabama Marriage Law