Advocates with the Partnership for a Drug-Free Community have been working to educate people about the harmful effects of vaping long before any deaths.
The first vaping-related death in Alabama was just reported by the state health department Tuesday.
“Don’t take a risk with your life, don’t vape,” said Ann Marie Martin. “They contain different chemicals, propylene glycol, benzilic acid that can scar the lungs, some other flavoring chemicals that have been shown to scar the lungs. And also heavy metal ultra-fine particles.”
The Partnership especially focuses on teaching young people and say kids are responding. They have student ambassadors as well. Most vaping cases being investigated by the CDC are people ages 18 to 34 years old.