Parents can give their kids a staycation during summer break where they can explore painting, creating a mosaic and learning about photography. Artists at High Cotton Arts in Downtown Athens are offering their Summer Art Camp from June 4-8 from 9:00 a.m. to noon daily. The cost is $125 per child for the week long art program. The camp is for those ages 7-12. Parents or guardians need to pre-register and pay $60 down. The remaining $65 is due the first day of camp.
Here is the list of classes:
* Monday and Tuesday – Tina Swindell and Lynn Weatherford, acrylic painting
* Wednesday – Denise Maurer, mosaic stepping-stone
* Thursday – Sonya Gordon, watercolors with children making two under-the-sea themed paintings
* Friday – Tanjie Schrimsher, photography session called “See the Light”
To pre-register, call 256-232-7717 or email Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athens Arts League, a non-profit entity that operates High Cotton Arts, also is planning a container garden art camp for later this summer where students can paint and decorate recycled containers, plants flowers and herbs, and display them in the outdoor classroom called Cotton Alley, located behind High Cotton Arts.
Art After Hours
Adults as well as children can also spend summer evenings at High Cotton Arts on the second Friday of each month through September for Art After Hours. This is a free event with live music, snacks, and an art activity for children. The events are 5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
The upcoming Art After Hours events are:
* June 8 with Garth Lovvorn Jr.’s band Temple of Blood and Never Mind the Damage
* July 13 tentatively with Elvis and the Three Divas
* Aug. 10 with Jimmy Rowell and Friends
* Sept. 14 with John David Crowe and activities related to September being Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
Fridays After Five
The artists at High Cotton Arts are participating in Athens Main Street’s Fridays After Five as well. The artists will keep High Cotton Arts open until 9:00 p.m. on June 15, July 20, Aug. 17 and Sept. 21. The public can shop for locally made art, sign up for art classes and enjoy free snacks
For more information click here
Source: Athens Arts League