HUNTSVILLE — Kelen Kenol paced Austin Peay with 15 points as the Governors held off Alabama A&M 67-61 Saturday afternoon in a non-conference women’s basketball game.
Austin Peay (6-2) built a 15-point cushion early in the first period, but Alabama A&M (3-5) rallied back, pulling within five by halftime.
Dariauna Lewis recorded a double-double for Alabama A&M, scoring 17 points while grabbing 11 rebounds with a blocked shot.
Alabama A&M closed out the third period with a 10-3 run, getting a couple of key buckets in the lane by Lewis and Elexis Evans, to pull the Bulldogs within six by the end of the third period.
The Bulldogs made a couple more runs at the lead in the fourth period, trimming the deficit to four with about three minutes remaining in the game.
Alabama A&M, however, could get no closer.
Arie Gonzalez-Varner finished with 12 points and 13 rebounds for Austin Peay, while Brandi Ferby added nine points.
- Alabama A&M starting lineup: Tierra Dark, Jameica Cobb, DeShawna Harper, De’Asia Thomas and Dariauna Lewis.
- Alabama A&M’s starting lineup made 13 of 35 shots from the field, while the Bulldogs shot finished 22 of 54 as a team.
- Alabama A&M out-rebounded Austin Peay 36 to 34.
- Austin Peay turned the ball over 18 times, but Alabama A&M finished with 20 turnovers.
- Austin Peay scored 16 points off Alabama A&M turnovers.
- Alabama A&M travels to Cincinnati on Tuesday to begin a three-game road swing to close out non-conference play.
- Havoc take down the Bulls in OT
- Alternative Baseball team looking for players
- Hazel Green Girl’s defeat Lee-Huntsville (Highlights)
Latest sports headlines: