UPDATE: No bond for accused cop killing teen

Local News

MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG)- Bond denied for the teenager accused of killing Mobile Police Officer Sean Tuder on Sunday, January 20.

Marco Perez appeared before Judge Basenberg at Metro Jail Monday morning.

This is the 19-year old’s fifth booking into the jail. This time he’s charged with capital murder and possession of a stolen firearm– a felony in the federal court system.

He was booked into jail late Sunday night. Police say he’s been running from them for weeks after allegedly faking his own kidnapping. In that case, Perez and his mother were both charged in a plot to fake a kidnapping to avoid the teen being arrested last week on an outstanding warrant. Tiffany Perez was charged on Thursday with filing a false report.

District Attorney Ashley Rich also says Perez is homeless.

His last arrest was in December when US Marshalls took him to Metro Jail for safekeeping. Back in July, he was charged with leaving the scene of an accident. A month before that, he was charged with use of an unauthorized vehicle. Perez was wanted on federal gun charges and was a suspect in 18 car break-ins. He was also a suspect in a robbery at a vape store.

Last January, Perez was charged with third-degree burglary.

After Perez’s bond hearing, District Attorney Ashley Rich spoke about what an awesome police officer Sean Tuder was and how he served in the National Guard. “Not only was he serving our community as a police officer, he was serving our country because that’s the kind of person that he was. He was a man of service. his entire life revolved around it and his wife and his family.”

Perez will be arraigned next Tuesday at 8-30am.

District Attorney Rich says they expect him to plead not guilty and he currently doesn’t have a lawyer.

©TEGNA Inc. 2019. All Rights Reserved.

More from WZDX News

More Smart Shopper

Get our WZDX News & Weather Apps

ANDROID
iOS
ANDROID
iOS