TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama football senior Najee Harris has been named to the 2020 Doak Walker Award Watch List, the SMU Athletic Forum announced on Wednesday.
Harris is part of a group of 76 running backs from around the country named to the preseason list. Heisman Trophy winner and record-setting running back Derrick Henry was the most recent winner for the Crimson Tide in 2015 while Trent Richardson was the first Alabama student-athlete to take home the award in 2011.
Running Back, Senior
- One of the nation’s top running back prospects who passed up the 2020 NFL Draft to return for his senior season
- Accumulated 2,377 career rushing yards in three seasons to rank 15th all-time at UA
- Recorded seven career 100-plus yard rushing games, six of which came a season ago
- Earned the starting tailback role and put together a standout season in 2019
- Contributed 20 scores (13 rushing, seven receiving) to tie for fourth in UA single-season ranks for touchdowns scored
- Totaled 1,224 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns on 209 carries while adding 27 catches for 304 yards and seven scores as a junior
The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for his accomplishments on the field, achievement in the classroom and citizenship in the community. Candidates must be in good academic standing and on schedule to receive their degree. The award is named in honor of 1948 Heisman Trophy winner Doak Walker. The 2020 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on Dec. 10.