It’s getting colder, and people are pulling out their space heaters and electric blankets.
People are at a greater risk of fires during winter-weather, and firefighters want you to stay safe this winter.
Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are placed in appropriate areas.
Never use an extension cord with a heating appliance.
Change the batteries in smoke detectors.
Replace smoke detectors that are older than 10 years.
Plug only one heating appliance directly into a wall outlet at a time.
Captain Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire & Rescue, said, “The biggest thing is, if you have a heating and air conditioning system, make sure that you have that inspected.”
Studies show cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires, and heating is the second leading cause of home fires.
Many use space heaters to warm up a room, but you have to be careful.
“You want a three foot area around any of those space heaters. You don’t want to place anything ever on top of those. Don’t place blankets even if you think they are off. Any time you leave a room, you want to cut those units off,” said Captain McKenzie.