If you plan to vote in upcoming Alabama elections, make sure you have the right kind of ID.
So what forms of photo ID are acceptable? A valid driver’s license (not expired or has been expired LESS than 60 days), valid Alabama Photo Voter ID, valid US Passport and a valid Military ID are just a few options. You can click here to view a full list of acceptable forms of ID.
- Valid Alabama Driver’s License (not expired or has been expired less than 60 days)
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Digital Driver’s License
- Valid Alabama Nondriver ID (not expired or has been expired less than 60 days)
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Digital Nondriver ID
- Valid Alabama Photo Voter ID Card
- Valid State-Issued ID (Alabama or any other state)
- Valid AL Department of Corrections Release – Temporary ID (Photo Required)
- Valid AL Movement/Booking Sheet from Prison/Jail System (Photo Required)
- Valid Pistol Permit (Photo Required)
- Valid Federal-Issued ID
- Valid US passport
- Valid Employee ID from Federal Government, State of Alabama, County, Municipality, Board, or other entity of this state
- Valid student or employee ID from a public or private college or university in the State of Alabama (including postgraduate technical or professional schools)
- Valid student or employee ID issued by a state institution of higher learning in any other state
- Valid Military ID
- Valid Tribal ID
If you don’t have one of the approved forms of photo ID as stated in the law, you can receive a free Alabama photo voter ID from various locations including the Secretary of State’s Office, local county board of registrars’ offices, a mobile ID location, or by a home visit or group event. Click here for the application.
If you’re required to present valid photo identification but don’t do so, you will be allowed to cast a provisional ballot. If you cast a provisional ballot, you have until 5:00 p.m. the first Friday after the Election to submit a valid form of photo ID to your local Board of Registrars in order to have your ballot counted.
You can also vote without a valid photo ID if you are positively identified by two election officials as a voter on the poll list who is eligible to vote and the election officials sign a sworn affidavit so stating.
Election FAQs can also be found here.