Tennessee Riverkeeper and Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful teamed up on Martin Luther King Day to clean up more than 1,900 pounds of aquatic litter from Swan Creek and the Tennessee River.
Most of the litter found during the cleanup was some form of plastic, the most common being polystyrene (“styrofoam”), polyethylene (plastic bottles and shopping bags), and polypropylene (straws). They also removed six tires, including a few from big trucks.
In 2019, Tennessee Riverkeeper prevented over 19,120 pounds of litter from entering the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers.
- Woman charged with helping Alabama prison escapee
- 2 men indicted in death of Alabama teen found dead in 2017
- Man found dead months after courthouse gun incident
- Huntsville City Schools donates 100 desks, chairs to Marshall Co. Schools
- UAH’s men and women pick up close victories tonight against Delta State (Highlights)