HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — UPDATE (2/13): In a developing situation affecting local Huntsville Utilities customers, Latoya Whitfield of the Huntsville Alabama Community Resources Facebook page (HACR) announced on social media on Thursday that utility bills were paid this morning for some individuals in need. However, she noted that available funds have been exhausted, and many at-risk customers are still seeking assistance.
UPDATE: Hundreds are online voicing their concerns about Trump rescinding a federal grant that's impacted local Huntsville Utilities customers. It was called the Infrastructure Investment Jobs Act, and it was a supplemental grant from the Biden administration that gave out a hundred dollars to the 255 local people who applied to help them pay their bill.
But the grant program was frozen and the money taken back. Because of that almost 50 people have been unable to pay back the hundred-dollar debit placed on their account.
Delores Mastin, Community Action Partnership director, confirmed the loss of grant funding but reassured community members. "Next month's bill, that $100, they will be responsible for that $100. I have been assured by Huntsville Utilities, no one will be disconnected over this pause. Community Action is still here to assist in helping those to become self-sufficient. I say that, if we cannot provide the service, we will try to connect you with the local resource. So, we are still committed to doing what we're here to do."
Latoya Whitfield, HACR Founder, says the Huntsville Alabama Community Resources Facebook page, is committed to helping those affected customers pay their bill. "As we raise the funds, we're going to immediately try to reach out to Huntsville Utilities and pay the $100 credit that has been taken away. We just started it today, and we just got a donation in just a few minutes ago: $200. So, we're truly grateful for that. And so, we're going to just look at the people that have made a post and see if they have actually received that letter to determine how we'll do it."
Previous reporting:
Some Huntsville Utilities customers have seen unexpected debits from their accounts after a federal executive order rescinded grant funding previously awarded to help cover utility costs.
The grants, originally distributed through the Community Action Partnership of Huntsville/Madison & Limestone Counties, were revoked following an executive order from President Donald Trump. As a result, customers who benefited from these funds have had the credited amounts reversed, effectively increasing their outstanding balances.
Gary Whitley, Community Relations Manager for Huntsville Utilities, confirmed the validity of letters sent to affected customers, notifying them of the changes.
“These funds were originally granted by the federal government to our local Community Action Agency. This is impacting all Community Action agencies who were recipients of these particular funds,” Whitley said in an email to FOX54 News.
Huntsville Utilities has not issued a formal statement on whether affected customers will receive further assistance or alternative funding options. Those impacted are encouraged to contact the Community Action Partnership or Huntsville Utilities customer service for further guidance.
A representative with the Community Action Partnership for Morgan, Cullman, Lawrence, Winston and Marion Counties has said they are currently still offering customers in those areas utility assistance and are taking call-in appointments for the time being. Tim Thrasher also said the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) has not been impacted and is not one of the items under review per President Trump's executive order.