HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — Holidays and weight loss. For most people, those two things don't go together. That's why the City of Huntsville and Huntsville Hospital System are encouraging people to join the "Maintain, Don't Gain" Challenge, starting on November 14. It's free, and there are prizes!
“This annual program helps us focus on making good choices throughout the holiday season,” said Mayor Tommy Battle. “We’ll be able to start 2023 feeling fit and well and not add “weight loss” to our list of New Year’s resolutions."
Huntsville Hospital CEO Jeff Samz is again inviting the community to use exercise and a healthy diet to keep emotional and physical health in top shape.
“There’s nothing more important than your health,” Samz said. “As we welcome the joy of the holiday season, we encourage you to Maintain, Don’t Gain, by making smart choices at your holiday celebrations and taking advantage of the Huntsville area’s outstanding recreational opportunities.”
The challenge lasts for six weeks. From Nov. 14-20, sign up and weigh in at one of several “Maintain, Don’t Gain” registration sites. You'll weigh out at the same location the week of Jan. 2, 2023. Those who weigh in and out will receive a participation prize with additional prize drawings for those who meet the challenge.
Participating Locations and Hours
City Recreation Centers
• Brahan Spring Recreation Center, 3770 Ivy Ave.
• Dr. Richard Showers, Sr. Recreation Center, 4600 Blue Spring Road
• Fern Bell Recreation Center, 107-A Sanders Road
• Johnson Legacy Center, 6000 Cecil Fain Drive
• Mark Russell Recreation Center, 429 Taylor Road
• Optimist Recreation Center, 703 Oakwood Ave.
Recreation Center Weigh-in Hours
• Monday – Friday: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Saturday: 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Sunday: 1-5 p.m.
Huntsville Hospital Wellness Centers
• Jones Valley Wellness Center, 1345 4 Mile Post Road
• Madison Hospital Wellness Center, 8391 US-72
• Medical Mall Wellness Center, 1963 South Memorial Parkway
Wellness Center Weigh-in Hours
• Monday – Thursday: 5 a.m.-9 p.m.
• Friday: 5 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Saturday: 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Sunday: 1-5 p.m.