ATHENS, Ala. — Based on the new Safer-at-Home order, implemented from April 30 to May 15, the City of Athens has updated their COVID-19 protocols
These protocols include:
- City of Athens facilities remaining closed to the public through at least May 15. Several facilities are undergoing changes to limit exposure between employees and citizens, such as installing plexiglass windows at counters.
- Athens Utilities suspending the practice of disconnecting utilities for non-payment until May 15. Customers will be responsible for the full bill amount accrued until payment is made.
- The spring sports season at Athens Parks and Recreation is canceled. The Safer At Home Order continues to prohibit sport activities such as baseball and softball, the use of playground equipment, rental of pavilions, etc. Cemetery/Parks/Recreation Director Bert Bradford said his staff is preparing for volleyball season in June and planning small summer camps in various sports.
- Municipal Court staff are waiting to see if there is an update in the Supreme Court mandate, which currently suspends in-person court hearings through April 30.
- Driving school will not be held in May. Those who planned to attend need to make sure court staff have their correct contact information.
- To update contact information or for other court-related questions or to make court-related payments, you can call 256-233-8733 or email email@example.com during these hours:
- Monday, Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
- The City’s recycling services still are suspended. Sanitation Director Earl Glaze said he has not received a date for the return of state inmates who help operate the facility in Decatur that processes our recycling.
- Per the updated state health order, Senior Centers remain closed.
- Athens employees will continue working and offering ways for citizens to remotely access employees, information, and forms. The City’s website lists contact information for each department as well as information on payments, forms, and services. Each city building has a note on the door listing contact information for that department.
The City continues to encourage citizens to participate in public meetings such as Athens City Council, Athens Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustments by watching the live stream on the City’s YouTube channel at CityofAthensAla and calling in comments on the phone number provided at each meeting.
IN OTHER NEWS: