HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — UPDATE: 4:45PM
All roads in Huntsville and Madison are reopened.
Jackson County Travel Advisory has been lifted at this time. However, please use caution when driving we still have patchy black ice in shaded areas.
Most roadways across North Alabama are open; however, temperatures are expected to get below freezing in many areas tonight, leading to a small chance of black ice. If you need to be on the road, please drive carefully.
Winter weather is causing some businesses to change their schedules and some roads to close. We'll update this list as more information becomes available.
The National Weather Service says patchy freezing fog is possible this morning, contributing to the already hazardous, icy road conditions. Avoid driving if possible! Ice is not expected to begin melting until the late morning.
County EMA and local law enforcement are warning of icy road conditions and asking people not to drive unless it's absolutely necessary, and to use extreme caution.
Alabama Dept. of Transportation has a road conditions map here.
Scroll down for business delays/closings.
Huntsville: Huntsville Police
There is a coordinated effort between ALDOT and Huntsville Public Works to clear major roads as soon as possible.
The National Weather Service in Huntsville predicts black ice across roadways Tuesday morning. Given the extreme cold temperatures in recent days, @HMCEMA says it will take time for icy patches on roadways to fully disappear.
Huntsville transit services are delayed until 10:00 am.
Traffic Alert: Please avoid the following areas and use extreme caution on the road.
One lane of Governors Drive is open in each direction. Please use caution due to icy road conditions and abandoned vehicles on the side of the road.
Elevated portions of Memorial Parkway, I-565 and Research Park Blvd. are open, but down to one lane.
6:30 a.m. Road Closures:
- Cecil Ashburn Drive
- Bankhead Parkway
- Green Mountain Road
- Plummer Road between Research Park Blvd. and Jordan Lane
- Old Monrovia Road
- Sparkman Drive Highway
- 431 South between Bassett Street and Dug Hill Road
- Chapman Mountain
- Mountain Gap Road
- Memorial Parkway at Mt. Charron
- Highway 72 East at Christian Lane NE
- High Mountain Road and Epworth Drive
Roadways are improving through the morning, however, barriers are still placed at impassible roads. Please observe barriers and drive with extreme caution. A big "Thank You" to our Public Works and safety officials working through freezing temperatures.
Be advised the following roads in Madison County are closed due to icy conditions:
- Keel Mountain Road
- South end of Green Mountain Road
- Hobbs Island Road is open but extremely treacherous.
Countess Road near Baltimore Hill Road is completely closed to traffic due to multiple vehicles in the ditches near the roadway.
Majority of roads in Marshall County this morning are considered impassable. There is still a lot of ice and snow on the roads making them very slick. We advise you not to be traveling unless its absolutely necessary. Warmer temperatures are expected today that will hopefully clear some of the roads.
The Marshall County Courthouse has been closed for today due to the weather.
Decatur Police: ICY ROAD CONDITIONS: We've received reports of multiple wrecks across the city due to slick roadways, overpasses, and bridges. If you must be out, give yourself extra time to take it slow and get to your destination safely. If you don't have to be out, please stay at home.
If you or someone you know is Stranded, due to the weather, on a Morgan County Roadway, please do not plan to sleep in your car.
Message the Morgan County EMA page and they can make arrangements to assist you.
Use extreme caution due to dangerous conditions, especially Hwy 72 east of I-65 and southeastern Limestone Limestone County.
Huntsville Browns Ferry Road near the intersection of Cambridge Lane is closed at this intersection until ALDOT deems the road passable again
East Limestone Rd. just north of Highway 72, will be barricaded due to road conditions.
The National Weather Service says that conditions will continue to become more slick this evening and remain so until around 11 AM on Tuesday morning.
The Street Dept. has sanded some bridges and streets, and helped the East Limestone area, but warns motorists that streets are slick in some areas in the city and county. If you have to drive, slow down and watch for icy areas.
The county commissioner has declared all roads impassable across Jackson county. Snowy and icy travel conditions continue to be in place and are expected through 11 am on Tuesday before improving.
There are multiple accidents all across Jackson County this morning. Reminder ALL ROADS ARE STILL DECLARED IMPASSABLE!
6 AM update 12/27/2022
State highways have been treated and are passable.
Mountain Gap Roads have been chipped and are passable
All other secondary roads have large areas of snow pack and ice and are considered hazardous.
Brindlee Mountain: Bridlee Mountain Volunteer Fire Dept.
231 from Morgan City to Apple Grove road is still solid ice. There is several cars and trucks pulled over on the sides of the road.
Business closings and delays
- Decatur: All NARCOG offices and operations, including NARCOG Transit, will be closed Tuesday, December 27th due to increment weather and road conditions.
- All Madison County offices including the Madison County Courthouse and Madison County Service Center will open at noon today, Tuesday, December 27, 2022.
- Madison County Sanitation will be running Monday’s route later today as the roads clear.
- Due to icy road conditions, the Huntsville Ice Sports Center will be delayed opening today, Tuesday, December 27, 2022, until Noon.
- The U.S. Space & Rocket Center will now delay opening by three hours Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2022. Doors will open to guests at noon local time.
- The Lauderdale County Courthouse will delay opening 12-27-22, until 10:00 a.m.
- Due to the icy conditions and road closures in the area, all Joe Wheeler EMC offices will delay opening until 11 am on Tuesday, Dec. 27. You will still be able to make payments online, on the phone, and through the JWEMC app.
- Redstone Federal Credit Union: Please be advised that due to weather and road conditions the following schedule will be observed for Redstone Federal Credit Union branches today, December 27, 2022:
Redstone Arsenal branches will be CLOSED
All Alabama branch locations and the Fayetteville, TN location will open at NOON
Murfreesboro, TN locations will be open all day, at normal operating time
- Due to road conditions and water issues throughout the county, the Jackson County Courthouse will delay opening until 12 PM, Tuesday, December 27th. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please be weather aware and follow the Jackson County EMA (Emergency Management) Facebook Page for weather updates.
- Due to the icy conditions and road closures in our area, all Joe Wheeler EMC offices will delay opening until 11 am on Tuesday, Dec. 27. You will still be able to make payments online, on the phone, and through the JWEMC app. Also, due to the hazardous conditions, there may be delays in outage responses tonight. We will answer every outage call as quickly as we can do so safely.
- Due to the inclement weather and road conditions, Huntsville Hospital Day Care will open at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, December 27.
- Due to the expected travel problems early tomorrow morning, all Madison County offices and the Madison County Courthouse will be on a three hour delay Tuesday, December 27. All County road crews, utility crews and maintenance staff should check in with your Supervisor for assignments as needed to respond to this weather situation.
- Due to potentially hazardous driving conditions on some area roads, Decatur Utilities will DELAY opening of the Main Lobby and Drive-Thru Payment windows on Central Parkway until 11 A.M. tomorrow, Tuesday, December 27th. Payments can be made via the SmartHub app, online at www.decaturutilities.com, or by phone at 256-552-1400 Opt 3.
- The EarlyWorks Children's Museum will delay opening until 10am on Tuesday due to hazardous road conditions
- Redstone Arsenal is closed Tuesday, Dec. 27, due to weather conditions. Only emergency essential personnel should report.
- City of Huntsville municipal offices will open at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27, due to the possibility of early morning icy road conditions.
Orbit fixed-route and Access paratransit service will begin at 9 a.m.
Citizens can sign up for emergency notifications via the City of Huntsville's website or follow the Huntsville Police Department’s Facebook and Twitter for road closures and other traffic safety information.
- Huntsville-Madison Senior Center CLOSED WEEK OF DEC 26. Due to burst water pipe issues, the Huntsville-Madison County Senior Center at 2200 Drake Avenue SW, will be CLOSED this week. Two major programs – the CENTER FOR ADULT DAY CARE and MEALS ON WHEELS – WILL be open. Reopening details will be available later this week.
- Parkway Place Mall in Huntsville is closed until further notice.