HUNTSVILLE, Alabama — The Alabama Legislative Reapportionment Committee is required by the state constitution to redistrict the state during its first session following the official completion of the decennial US Census.
The committee is set to hold public reapportionment hearings in 27 counties throughout the state starting on September 1. Several of these hearings will take place in North Alabama, including the following:
- Drake State Meeting
- Wednesday, Sept. 1 at 9 a.m.
- Lecture Hall and Cafetorium, 3421 Meridian St. North Huntsville
- Northwest-Shoals Meeting
- Wednesday, Sept. 1 at 11 a.m.
- Hospitality House Shoals Campus, 800 George Wallace Blvd. Muscle Shoals
- Calhoun Main Campus Meeting
- Wednesday, Sept. 1 at 2 p.m.
- Health Sciences Building - Room 109, 6250 Highway 31 North Tanner
- Northeast Alabama Meeting
- Wednesday, Sept. 1 at 4 p.m.
- Theater Auditorium, 138 Alabama Highway 35 in Rainsville
- Snead State Meeting
- Thursday, Sept. 2 at 9 a.m.
- Fielder Auditorium, 102 Elder Street in Boaz
- Wallace-Dothan Meeting
- Thursday, Sept. 2 at 11 a.m.
- Cherry hall Bencze Theater - Main Campus, 1141 Wallace Drive in Dothan
A full list of public hearings can be read below:
The Alabama Legislature has released guidelines for how the committee will conduct the redistricting, which can be read below:
WATCH: WZDX On YouTube
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: