HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — Alabama will hold its tenth annual Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday, beginning Friday, February 26, 2021 at 12:01 AM and will last through Sunday, February 28 at 12 midnight. This will give shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain severe weather preparedness items free of state sales tax. Local sales tax may apply.
Items ($60 or LESS per item) that will be included in the tax free items will include the following:
- AAA-cell batteries, AA-cell batteries, C-cell batteries, D-cell batteries, 6-volt batteries, 9-volt batteries
- Cellular phone batteries
- Cellular phone charger
- Portable self-powered or battery-powered radio, two way radio, weather band radio, or NOAA weather radio
- Portable self-powered light source, including battery powered flashlights, lanterns, or emergency glow sticks.
RELATED: Severe Weather in the Valley
- Plastic sheeting
- Plastic drop cloths
- Other flexible, waterproof sheeting
- Ground anchor system, such as bungee cords or rope, or tie-down kit
- Duct tape
- Plywood, window film, or other materials specifically designed to protect window coverings
- Non-electric food storage cooler or water storage container
- Non-electric can opener
- Artificial ice
- Blue ice
- Ice packs
- Reusable ice
- Self-contained first aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Smoke detector
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Gas or Diesel fuel tank or container
The Alabama Department of Revenue specifically identified coin batteries along with automobile and boat batteries as taxable.
Additionally, with a single purchase with a sales price of $1,000 or less, any portable generator and power cords are tax exempt.