MADISON COUNTY, ALABAMA, Ala. — Superintendents of Huntsville City, Madison City, and Madison County schools announced that the new school year will start all-virtual.
A joint statement released this morning says:
Madison City Schools Superintendent Dr. Ed Nichols joined superintendents from Huntsville and Madison County schools today to jointly announce a revised schools reentry plan.
This reentry plan that the school districts mutually agree on calls for an all virtual school opening with the intent to offer school-based learning if COVID-19 risks lower to safer levels.
As you are aware, the number of COVID-19 cases in Madison County continues to increase. Alabama had 39 confirmed cases when the statewide school closure order was announced in mid March by Gov. Kay Ivey. Madison County had one confirmed case at that time.
Today, there are more than 65,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases statewide, including more than 3,500 in Madison County. Officials hope mask requirements and social distance pushes will slow the alarmingly high gains in COVID-19 cases.
With that said, the safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Therefore, we will start school August 19th at Level 3 - Substantial Spread, based on our reopening plan for the first 9 week grading period.
In addition, employees should plan to return to work as scheduled.
Thank you for all that you do to support the development of our students.
Scheduled to participate are:
- Christie Finley, Superintendent of Huntsville City Schools
- Dr. Ed Nichols, Superintendent of Madison City Schools
- Allen Perkins, Superintendent of Madison CountySchools
- Mayor Tommy Battle, City of Huntsville
- Mayor Paul Finley, City of Madison
- Elizabeth Fleming, Executive Director, The Schools Foundation
- Kevin Byrnes, 2020 Board Chair, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber Board of Directors
- Lucia Cape, Senior Vice President of Economic Development, Industry Relations & Workforce, Huntsville/Madison County Chamber
- Dr. Oscar Montgomery, Senior Pastor, Union Hill Primitive Baptist Church