Incident at Sanmina causes building evacuation

Lithium battery involved, hazmat team called to the scene

A incident in a lab at Sanmina involving a lithium battery caused a building-wide evacuation.

Huntsville Fire & Rescue was called out to the scene, but no injuries were reported, and the incident was contained to the one lab.

The evacuation of all of the approximately 1,400 onsite employees was due to the battery "off-gassing", according to Captain Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire and Gary Switzer, Senior Vice President of Operations with Sanmina.

There was no visible fire seen, just a lot of smoke, and the batteries were placed in a "kiln", a special fireproof box, to contain the smoke and any fire.

The battery involved was part of a prototype being worked on in the lab.

Hazmat teams went to the scene and are evaluating the safety of the location before employees are allowed back in.

Reporter Christina Ailsworth was live on the scene.


The fire is reportedly out and a hazardous materials team is on the scene.

WZDX will bring you more information as it becomes available.


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • 2018 Golf Tour Card
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Work for Us
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Enter to win your way to Christmas in Dixie
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Find us on Social Media
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Nominate your Valley's First Responder
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News